Friday, May 17, 2013

SNAP! I have taken that first leap of faith

I have written before how difficult it is in some respects living in Japan from a consumer point of view.

Don't get me wrong. Tokyo is a shopping and dining paradise. You can find nearly any cuisine you desire. I have had Moroccan, Thai, French, Chinese, Russian, Turkish and Tex Mex. (Fridays is still one of my favorite places to eat, even in Machida, or Shibuya and Shinagawa).

I have also written extensively about the plethora of mobile devices and other tech here. After all, I am still "Waiting in Japan..."

But there is a protective dark side to this as well. I am a Pepsi drinker. Not Diet Pepsi. Not Crystal Pepsi. But good old tangy Pepsi Cola. However, with a few vending machine exceptions, there is none to be found on the shelves of convenience stores or supermarkets. Costco is one alternative if you want to buy a case and drive a couple hours to get it. Rice Chex? Nope. Cheerios? No. Pepsi Nex, sure. I have a couple places I can get the lemon injected 2 liter bottles.

Well, the same goes for phones. I had 2 different Toshiba PDAs and then a Toshiba slider Windows Mobile Phone. However, probably because I kept installing things and skinning the Japanese OS, I kept losing contacts and finally said, "enough." So from feature phone, to iPhone I went. Android was in diapers then. Now it dominates.

But when Windows Phone was introduced, and particularly when my imported Zune was discontinued, I wanted one. Big time. Then Mango and the Fujitsu you see on this page. On the wrong carrier. Then nothing else.

So I purchased my HTC Titan in December. I put it on my carrier though they won't support it.

Now I am at a cross roads. It is still far and away one of the very nicest Windows 7.8 devices. Great camera, thin, strong. After 1 year and a half of solid, hard use, it is pristine, even without screen protector or case.

So now, I have determined what my next step will be. To find out more, come read my post on enconnected...

No comments: