Monday, July 16, 2012

Still waiting...

I'm still calling this "Waiting in Japan" despite the fact that just a year ago next week, Japan introduced the first WP7.5 (Mango) phone, listed on this page.

Here is what we are missing, that I am still waiting for:
  • Bing update.
  • Local Scout
  • Full mapping
  • Music marketplace
  • Phones on all carriers, not just KDDI AU.
Why am I still hopeful? Well, WP7.5 is dead, and the Fujitsu phone will be going nowhere. It has beeen eclipsed by hundreds of Andoid clones. But here is what is going to be the real kicker. Whether Japan again gets everything, I can't say:
  • Windows 8 is on the horizon. It will be implemented worldwide.
  • Full implementation of Windows 8 will hopefully herald a morerobust Marketplace in Japan through
  • XBox Music.
But though I am hopeful, I am not completely without fear of Japan, in its unique insularity, leaving out features:
  • XBox is not fully supported in japan.
  • Bing may not come to XBox as it has in America.
But there is still hope. Japan is not the only market getting less than complete support.

So time will tell. Meanwhile, I am still "Waiting in Japan."

No comments: